When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. — Franklin D. Roosevelt
Five years ago, my wife and I realized that we disliked each other. We couldn’t get divorced. But we knew we couldn’t stay where we were either.
Paul learned the lesson of contentment in extenuating circumstances. That’s because his joy came from living according to the truth rather than buying into lies. It’s the same for you and your marriage. Remember, the secret of marriage is two people walking in the Spirit, loving one another. Let’s do something about that, following the pattern Paul laid out in Romans 12:1-2:
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God — this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will.
For each of the eight marriage lies we’ve uncovered, there’s solid biblical truth of which we can be certain:
- Marriage is not irrelevant. It’s divine, timeless, and significant.
- Marriage isn’t the only way to be happy. Singleness is a gift to cherish or a season to enjoy.
- Your spouse will not complete you. Only Christ can.
- You two can’t handle marriage on your own. You need outside help.
- Divorce is not an option. Only in extreme circumstances can marriage be dissolved.
- Divorce isn’t better for your children. Married parents are far better for your kids.
- Your marriage is never hopeless. God offers hope and restoration.
- Marriage is worth it.
Now, take those truths to the Holy Spirit and ask Him to do the work that only He can.
Spirit, show me, right now, the lies that are oppressing my marriage. In the name of Jesus, I rebuke Satan who is the father of those lies. Renew my mind. Reveal to me now specific changes that You want to make. I surrender to You now. Live through me, moment by moment today, according to Your truth. Amen!
Taken from Pete’s 365-day devotional book Experiencing LIFE Today.